Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "Resist Your Adversary"
This post is based on C.J. Mahaney's sermon, Resist Your Adversary, given on September 24, 2017.
Have you ever faced a bully? You know, someone who tries to intimidate you? When you think of facing a bully, how do you feel (sad, angry, depressed, frightened)? How should our perspective change knowing that Jesus has already beaten the most ferocious bully we could ever face? Like CJ, you're probably tempted to run away and avoid him. But in CJ’s sermon this week, we are reminded that the devil loves to taunt, accuse, and intimidate us. He is an unreasonable and unavoidable foe whose goal is to get us to believe that God will be unfaithful to us. But the apostle Peter isn’t just putting us on high alert to our enemy. He is calling us to a gospel-empowered resistance. Resistance to the devil’s temptations is the call of every Christian as an expression of trust in the triumph of Christ at Calvary. Though exhausting, resistance to our enemy’s taunts is made possible by the fervent and effectual prayers of our High Priest, Jesus Christ.
Read 1 Pet. 5:8-9
- Can you identify the three commands Peter gives Christians when faced with a spiritual battle?
- Why did Peter use the picture of a roaring lion? How alert are you to this prowling enemy?
- In times of spiritual attack have you responded with a flimsy faith or a firm faith? Kids, can you act out what a flimsy faith would look like (think acting frightened)? Now act out what a firm faith would look like (think being bold)?
- When we remember what Jesus has done to save us, and as we rely on the gospel, how does Satan have to respond?
- Parents, take this opportunity to describe for your kids Christ’s priestly role of praying for us. What does Christ’s role as our High Priest mean for us and what do His prayers accomplish for us?
[Post written by Tyson Ziegler]
More in From your Pastors
July 17, 2018Sermon Quotes: "The Pilgrim's Passion"
July 12, 2018Thursday Thoughts for Parents: "The Soundless Word and the Saving Word"
July 10, 2018Sermon Quotes: "The Soundless Word and the Saving Word"