Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "A New Year's Resolution"
This post is based on C.J. Mahaney's sermon, A New Year's Resolution, given on January 1, 2016.
During this time of New Year’s resolutions, Sunday’s sermon reminded us that there is “one thing” that we should set our hearts on accomplishing this year: to gaze upon the beauty and majesty of God.
Read Psalm 27:1-6.
In verse 3, David says, “Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear.” He could be fearless because he knew God was his salvation and his stronghold (v. 1). C.J. reminded us that, as it was for David, God is our fortress; our protector in times of trouble.
- One of the ways we can assure ourselves in times of difficulty is to look back on God’s faithfulness to us in the past. As you think about the last year, what are some ways that God has protected you, or encouraged you in times that were hard or scary?
- How could you handle differently the situations that make you afraid, since you know that God is your stronghold and protector?
Read verses 3 and 4 again. David is surrounded by his enemies. But even in this terrifying situation, there is only one thing that he wants, one thing he is seeking after: to be in the presence of the Lord and to gaze on His beauty.
- If you had the opportunity to ask God for only one thing what would it be?
- Why do you think David wanted to be in God’s presence above all else?
- **If you wanted to make “knowing God better” the one thing you wanted to accomplish this year, how would you go about doing it?**
[post written by Rich Humphrey]
More in From your Pastors
November 17, 2017New Member Testimony | Reid Williamson
November 16, 2017Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "Singing In Sorrow"
November 10, 2017Sermon quotes: "The Joyful Journey"