Resources on Prayer | Brian Chesemore
Last week I had the privilege of revisiting some great books on prayer as I prepared for my message on Luke 11.1-13. Reading on this topic is a joyful reminder of the unspeakable privilege we have as the redeemed to call God, “Father.”
For me, reading on prayer is a necessary habit, as I tend to so quickly move away from an appropriate mindset of dependence upon God. These books deepen my convictions and fuel my desire to pray.
If you share my need or simply want to receive fresh inspiration from godly teachers, here are some excellent books for your consideration.
Growing in Prayer
- When I Don’t Desire God, chapters 9 and 10 – John Piper
- Habits of Grace – David Mathis
- Praying the Bible – Donald Whitney
- Praying the Lord’s Prayer – J.I. Packer:
- Praying the Saviour’s Way – Derek Thomas
Inspiration from Church History
- Taking Hold of God: Reformed and Puritan Perspectives on Prayer – Joel R. Beeke and Brian G. Najapfour
- The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
Digging Deeper into the Theology of Prayer
More in From your Pastors
December 14, 2017Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "Zechariah's Song"
December 12, 2017Sermon Quotes | "Zechariah's Song"
December 7, 2017Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "A Global Mission"